Monday, January 23, 2012

Colossians 1:1-8 Devotional

"Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, and Timothy our brother, 2 To the holy and faithful brothers in Christ at Colosse: Grace and peace to you from God our Father. 3 We always thank God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, when we pray for you, 4 because we have heard of your faith in Christ Jesus and of the love you have for all the saints-- 5 the faith and love that spring from the hope that is stored up for you in heaven and that you have already heard about in the word of truth, the gospel 6 that has come to you. All over the world this gospel is bearing fruit and growing, just as it has been doing among you since the day you heard it and understood God's grace in all its truth. 7 You learned it from Epaphras, our dear fellow servant, who is a faithful minister of Christ on our behalf, 8 and who also told us of your love in the Spirit."

Paul is an apostle, one sent to preach the good news, not by his own choice or career path but "by the will of God." I know that sometimes I wish that I had continued the path down medical school so that I could go on medical missions and give abundantly to a church. I feel like sometimes that would be easier than trying to be an apostle of Jesus Christ as a minister in the Church, especially during these times. It's so difficult when your profession that provides for your family is mixed up with the call to be a witness. That's the way it should be though in any profession though, I suppose. I take comfort knowing that no matter how bad I screw it up, that it is the will of God that will prevail. I pray that I can be a faithful brother in Christ; faithful to those whom I work with, faithful to our mission partners, faithful to those whom I serve, faithful to my family, faithful to my peers, and faithful most of all to Jesus Christ. Isn't it so wonderful to read Paul and see the fruit of his efforts. I mean this guy went through a lot, but you can read the joy in these verses as he is blessed to see that gospel is bearing fruit. I know that sometimes I'm too cynical and too pessimistic to expect to see fruit that I'm surprised when someone comes to know Jesus in their own lives. I pray that God will give me the endurance to continue, to be bold in my witness, and to expect fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment