Monday, January 30, 2012

Colossians 1:15-20 Devotional

He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. 16 For by him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by him and for him. 17 He is before all things, and in him all things hold together. 18 And he is the head of the body, the church; he is the beginning and the firstborn from among the dead, so that in everything he might have the supremacy. 19 For God was pleased to have all his fullness dwell in him, 20 and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether things on earth or things in heaven, by making peace through his blood, shed on the cross.

When I first started exploring my spirituality in a deep way, I kind of wondered what the big deal was about Jesus. It was clear to me that God existed, that the spiritual existed, that there was more to life than the material, but the Christians were really obsessed with Jesus. I didn't really understand the supremacy of Christ and his importance. Reading this passage is a reminder that Jesus wasn't just a good teacher or a wise philosopher, but is the image, I think some translations say the exact representation of the invisible God. He did more than just "recognize the divine within him" as some would say, He was clearly unique. I believe His claims, not just because of some gut feeling though certainly that plays a part, but because of the overwhelming evidence that Jesus of Nazareth was who he claimed to be. His and his life aren't confined to 1st century Israel or even to my own personal belief, but have universal implications. When I start to think about him reconciling all things to God, I begin to understand why Jesus specifically is so important and why what he did on the cross has such great importance for all things.

No comments:

Post a Comment